Thursday, April 9, 2009

el camino lawn service

so, I sort of accidentally started a lawn mowing business...

first of all you should know that a few weeks ago I bought a 1985 El Camino. you know, the mullet of cars. business up front, party in the back. it's two beautiful shades of brown and runs like a dream. a car with a truck bed, the best of both worlds.

part two of this story is that i live in a loft above the garage of a duplex and the whole lot is up for sale. i have noticed over the last few days that the grass long overdue for a trim. the property manager is a guy named darrel who comes by to show the place to prospective buyers every couple of weeks. last saturday he came by to show the place and i was just leaving as he was arriving. i casually mentioned that if he needs someone to mow the lawn next time before a showing to let me know. i'm thinking, "i have this sweet El Camino, my buddy has a mower, i load up the mower in the El Camino, badaboom badabing, i could make a few bucks easy." so he replies that they do have a kid who does it but he obviously hasnt shown up in a while and if he doesnt show up in a day or two, the job is mine. PS we have another property down the street and you can do that one too.

two days later darrel calles me back and says to get started on the lawns, mow them every 10 days, $25 bucks a piece, and he'll probably be able to find me some more. so i call brandon and explain that i accidentally started a lawn service even though i dont own one single piece of lawn equipment. oops. no problem.

i make a deal with brandon that i will mow his yard for free if i can borrow his mower and weedeater. yesterday was my first day in business and I made $50 in 3 hours. darrel has already lined me up a hedge trimming gig as soon as this lady calls me back. i dont own hedge trimmers. irrelevant.

i have three more potential customers from the restaurant just by telling this story yesterday. several people say they mow their own lawns but are interested if i go topless. i need a tan anyway, win-win. lawns do not acknowledge the recession and continue to grow at an alarming rate. at this growth rate i'm going to have to bring in a partner and i might be looking at early retirement. who knew you could start a lawn mowing business with just an El Camino and a smile? i did. cha ching!

4 comments:

mom said...

That my Boy!!! BRILLIANT!!! get a great lookin female partner and business will be a BUST!!

Russ said...

i get the joke but do i really want my business to be a bust?

mom said...

ther I go again...saying the WRONG thing!!! at least I'm consistant in that department... I really do wish you well and hopefully you get a great tan.....

Are We Too Matchy Matchy? said...

really well written. with your mad mowing skills, wanna mow my lawn when you come up in May? i've got a mower and a closet for your shirt. :)