Friday, September 5, 2008

Day 12 - Rome

Woke up VERY EARLY to go in to town with Flaminia. Started off at Vatican City. We walked through the museums and the Sistine Chapel and St. Peter's Basilica for a few hours. I had seen the Basilica before but didnt make it to the museums or Sistine Chapel last time I was in Rome. They have countless statues, paintings, tapestries, maps, etc and all of it was very intriguing and priceless. From Vatican City we walked past Castle St. Angelo and over to the Pantheon, another thing I had not seen before. It was the first church in Rome and has an amazingly huge dome with a hole in the center. From there we walked past Trevi Fountain, always amazing, and made our way over the the Roman Forum and the Colosseum. I will always be amazed by the Colosseum no matter how many times I see it. After that we met Flaminia for lunch and headed home. I have now seen everything on my list in Rome, though there is plenty more for me to research and come back to visit.

That evening, Flaminia mentioned her mother's house in the hills of Tuscany and that we could hang out there for a few days if we wanted. The train leaves in 40 minutes, so three minutes later we were out the door and in a cab to the train station. 2 hours later we were there. The house is amazing! It is basically a mansion that is rented out to the super rich for weeks at a time. The last guests before us were uber rich Saudi princes or something (seriously). We got there a bit late so we just chatted with Flaminia's mother and her 12 dogs for a bit and went to bed.

No comments: