Friday, September 5, 2008

Day 15 - Napoli and Pompeii

Why go to Napoli if it is such a dump? Because Pompeii is right down the road. I've always wanted to see the ancient city that was destroyed by a volcano. After a bit of train confusion (surprised?) we made it to Pompeii with not much time before we had to catch another train over to Bari. Pompeii was amazing to see. Many of the paintings on the walls have survived, as have a few fountains which were decorated with stones and sea shells. We were also able to see several human bodies and a dog that are now solidified in ash. Wish I had more time for a proper tour but we had to head back to Napoli to catch another train to Bari, which is where we will catch a ferry to Greece.
...hours and hours on a train...

We made it to Bari and were able to get strait on a ferry to Patra, Greece. I got the cheapest ticket, which was for the deck, which means not only do I not get a bed, I dont even get a seat. So I set up camp on the deck of the boat and slept very little.

No comments: