Tuesday, February 10, 2009

Day 39 - Budapest

Woke up early to go on a free walking tour with some of the gang from the previous night. Its a cloudy and sort of chilly day but the tour is pretty neat. The guide was Hungarian and spoke broken English but he knew a ton of history and all the things there are to see. Here are a few highlights from the tour:






The cathedral which is, by law, the tallest building in Budapest
















The Parliament building, which was intentionally built to the exact same height as the cathedral.











A sculpture on the river. You can see that people rub its legs for good luck. Is it a boy or a girl? Both. Its a girl dressed as a prince.













At the end of the tour we had a Hungarian lunch at a cafeteria. I have no idea what I ate but it was very tasty. Dark meat of some kind, something that resembled noodles, vegetables not native to North America, and mystery sauce, all on a bed of what was most likely rice. Or at least in the rice family. Does rice normally move? I'm sure it does. I may or may not have seen an eye ball but the fork was already on the way to my mouth and I didn't want to be rude and double pump my bite. I didn't feel compelled to ask any further questions about the meat. Some things are better left a mystery. As I said, it was tasty and it didn't kill me.

After "lunch" we were all pretty knackered to we decided to head back to the hostel and relax for a bit. There was also some concern that we may want to be in the relative comfort of the hostel after the meal. So back the hostel we went and we laid around in the common room and watched a movie and chatted for the evening and basically all night long. Towards the end of the night we ate some of the best pizza I have ever had.