Tuesday, February 10, 2009

Day 46 - Berlin


I ventured out in the morning to some flea markets I had heard about. They had some glorious junk that my mother would have loved but I didn't buy anything. Mostly because I couldn't carry anything else.

I walked through the Berlin Wall memorial and spent 2 hours reading through the Topography of Terror exhibit which detailed Hitler's rise to power and a time line of what went down once he got there. All very interesting and gut wrenching at the same time. It was very detailed. I also stumbled across Checkpoint Charlie which caught my interest and made me late for a bike tour that I had REALLY been looking forward to. I was very angry with myself for a minute about this.



So I walked to the TV tower and caught a bus tour, which I was the only passenger on, so it was like a private tour. My favorite was the holocaust memorial.


At the end I found a beer hall that had been set up to celebrate Oktoberfest. I took this as a sign and eagerly indulged in fine German beers served up by busty beer maidens and more mystery meat (Munich Meat Bread it was called) carved up by burly German men wearing wedgie inducing lederhosen and feathered hats. And Polka!



Home. Bed.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Ones man's JUNK is another's treasure!!!